The first years
In 1886, Stamatis Apergis, a carpenter from Tinos, married Asimina Nikolaou from Kifissia. The early years of their marriage were difficult. Stamatis worked for the municipality as a lamplighter for the streetlights in Kifissia Square. The couple moved to a small house in Kefalari, near the church of Sotiras. An awning in front of the house created a small café for the Athenians who came to enjoy the fresh air and verdant landscapes. The café turned into a restaurant, and as the family grew, the Apergises bought the plot of land across the street. A large living room, kitchen and the first guest rooms allowed the business to grow.