In 1886, Stamatis Apergis, a carpenter from Tinos, married Asimina Nikolaou from Kifissia. The early years of their marriage were difficult. Stamatis worked for the municipality as a lamplighter for the streetlights in Kifissia Square. The couple moved to a small house in Kefalari, near the church of Sotiras. An awning in front of the house created a small café for the Athenians who came to enjoy the fresh air and verdant landscapes. The café turned into a restaurant, and as the family grew, the Apergises bought the plot of land across the street. A large living room, kitchen and the first guest rooms allowed the business to grow.
In 1921, the hotel acquired a capacity of 160 beds in response to Kifissia’s growing popularity. Yannis Nydraios, a civil engineer, designed the hotel’s characteristic domes, copying those of the Hotel Negresco in Nice. The hotel was manned with experienced staff, and all the family’s children worked in the business. Professional chefs were hired, as was the well-known confectioner from Constantinople, Anastasios Theodorides. In the meantime, the new reservoir in Kefalari was officially opened helping to irrigate the region, and the local hoteliers provided the funds to establish regular transport between the train station and Kefalari.
The 1930s were the Apergis Hotel’s golden age, as Kifissia became the most popular suburb. In 1931 the business became a public limited company under the name “S. Apergis Anonymous Hotel Enterprise”. Stamatis and Asimina Apergis bought land from the Petraki Monastery in 1933, taking over the entire block and allowing them to expand the business. The fountain that adorns the entrance came from Germany in 1936. The hotel took part in the social life of Kifissia, providing accommodation for many important international figures, and hosting events for the Athenian society. The decade came to an end with the death of Stamatis Apergis on 29 April 1940.